EMMA is a FP6 - ICT European project, grant agreemnet n. 33751
This project will investigate the feasibility of emerging new non-volatile memory concepts based on resistive-switching materials for enabling new mass-storage memory systems.
These new memory concepts allow integration of the memory element in contact and interconnect structures resulting in very small memory cells and even offer the possibility of 3-D memory layer stacking. These new memory solutions are needed for the sub-32nm integration technology nodes where current memory concepts will no longer scale.
The program will study high-density resistive switching non-volatile memories (RRAM), including binary resistive switching oxides and CuTCNQ. Focus will be on concept scalability, based on gained understanding of the physical operation concepts. Investigation will further include cell integration aspects, reliability assessment, and memory architectures.
The CNR role was the development and characterization of NiO based RRAM memory for unipolar switching
- U. Russo, D. Ielmini, C. Cagli, A. L. Lacaita, S. Spiga, C. Wiemer, M. Perego, M. Fanciulli, “Conductive-filament switching analysis and self-accelerated thermal dissolution model for reset in NiO-based RRAM”, IEDM Tech. Dig, pp. 775-778, (2007)
- S. Spiga, A. Lamperti, C. Wiemer, M. Perego, E. Cianci, G. Tallarida, H. L. Lu, M. Alia, F. G. Volpe, M. Fanciulli, "Resistance switching in amorphous and crystalline binary oxides grown by electron beam and atomic layer deposition", Microelectronic Engineering 85, 2414 (2008)
- A. Lamperti, S. Spiga, H.L. Lu, C. Wiemer, M. Perego, E. Cianci, M. Alia, M. Fanciulli, "Study of the interfaces in resistive switching NiO thin films deposited by both ALD and e-beam coupled with different electrodes (Si, Ni, Pt, W, TiN)", Microelectronic Engineering 85, 2425 (2008).
- H.L. Lu, G. Scarel, C. Wiemer, M. Perego, S. Spiga, M. Fanciulli, G. Pavia, "Atomic Layer Deposition of NiO Films on Si(100) Using Cyclopentadienyl-Type Compounds and Ozone as Precursors",Journal of The Electrochemical Society 155, H807–H811 (2008)
- S. Spiga, A. Lamperti, E. Cianci, F. G. Volpe, and M. Fanciulli, "Transition Metal Binary Oxides for ReRAM Applications", ECS Transactions 25(6) (2009) 411-425
- Ugo Russo, Carlo Cagli, Sabina Spiga, Elena Cianci, Daniele Ielmini, "Impact of Electrode Materials on Resistive-Switching Memory Programming", IEEE Electron Device Letters 30, 817-819 (2009)
- Robert Müller, Christoph Krebs, Ludovic Goux, Dirk J. Wouters, Jan Genoe, Paul Heremans, Sabina Spiga, Marco Fanciulli, "Bipolar Resistive Electrical Switching of CuTCNQ Memories Incorporating a Dedicated Switching Layer", IEEE Electron Device Letters, 30, 620-622 (2009)
- F. Nardi, D. Ielmini, C. Cagli, S. Spiga, M. Fanciulli, L. Goux, D. J. Wouters, “Control of filament size and reduction of reset current below 10 µA in NiO resistance switching memories”, Solid State Electronics 58, 42 (2011)
- F. Nardi, C. Cagli, S. Spiga, D. Ielmini, “Reset instability in pulsed-operated unipolar resistive switching memory”, IEEE Electron Device Letters 32, 719 (2011)
- D. Ielmini, S. Spiga, F. Nardi, C. Cagli, A. Lamperti, E. Cianci, M. Fanciulli, “Scaling analysis of submicrometer nickel-oxide-based resistive switching memory devices”, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 034506 (2011)
- Ch. Muller, D. Deleruyelle, R. Müller, M. Thomas, A. Demolliens, Ch. Turquat, and S. Spiga, “Resistance change in memory structures integrating CuTCNQ nanowires grown on dedicated HfO2 switching layer”, Solid State Electronics 56, 168-174 (2011)
- D. Deleruyelle, C. Dumas, M. Carmona, C. Muller, S. Spiga, M. Fanciulli, “Direct observation at nanoscale of resistance switching in NiO layers by conductive-atomic force microscopy”, Applied Physics Express 4, 051101 (2011)
- C. Dumas, D. Deleruyelle, A. Demolliens,C. Muller, S. Spiga, E.Cianci, M. Fanciulli, I. Tortorelli, R. Bez, “Resistive switching characteristics of NiO films deposited on top of W or Cu pillar bottom Electrodes”, Thin Solid Fims 519, 3798-3803 (2011)
- F. Nardi, D. Deleruyelle, S. Spiga, C. Muller, B. Bouteille and D. Ielmini,” Switching nanoscale filaments in NiO by conductive atomic force microscopy, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 064310 (2012)